Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Everyday Victories

Today's question: "Dear Dave - I think I could be overthinking things and life sometimes. How can I tell? Thanks! Xoxo"

This is a great question and very easy to answer, basically if you have these thoughts then yes, you are. A wise person once put it very succinctly: “What we think, we become.” Your instinct is really the best gauge for everything, how many times have I thought 'oh the solution to this issue is this action' but then some doubts or a bad habit like second guessing comes into play. Later I realize that keeping my mind open to the gut feeling or first impression is key.

The example I live too often is when I start to question an outcome or a set of actions because I can't literally string together the how or why, in trying to complete a goal I end up mathmatizing the actions, so it ends up being some kind of kooky equation which is really bad for me because I suck at math.

I've observed many different ways that folks get this together in their own head and lead by instinct. Some meditate, others use chemicals to leave their physical body and gain enlightenment, some prefer to invoke a deity who they feel guides them to the proper path. I choose love, whether it's love of life and the endless wonders it presents or love of thrashing about wildly behind a drumset, or love of the thrill of danger. Endorphins are a great way to clear out the clutter in the old noggin for me.
You are perfect the way you are, and nothing about you is wrong. As soon as you start to detect even a whiff of 'overthinking' just stop everything and listen to your breath, the birdies, even that jet in the sky wheeling by. Once you return to your life after a pause like that it may be quite clear how to proceed.

Then again it may not and I might have just put you to sleep. so be it, nite-nite.


No comments: